Wednesday, December 30, 2009

In Praise of my local Priest

Ok those of you who know me might be surprised at this one but I had to note this.
I am one of those people who goes to church for weddings and funerals. So far I have escaped active participation in either of these ceremonies!

As a child of the 60s and 70s the big men in black used to be a bit intimidating and a tad judgemental for my taste.... BUT.........On Christmas Eve this year my local parish priest was REALLY welcoming to all people in the congregation. His homily was warm, caring, sincere and full of good values. His warmth is exactly what the church should be about.

At the end of the mass he sensitively announced how bad he personally felt about the crisis of abuse by people in his own organisation. He mentioned how the 'organisation' of the catholic church had let people down and how he hoped and prayed that the right steps should be taken and that certain people should resign. He also asked us to pray for healing and forgiveness. His humanity shone through as he spoke, while people wept and looked on. This was really moving. I have the utmost respect for this man and his ilk.

Well done my local PP - I liked this a lot. Your compassion, honesty and humanity are indeed gifts. Be careful or I may become a fan :)

See you maybe at Easter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment