Monday, November 29, 2010

Toys for Christmas

I recently had a mother describe how this year she would not be able to buy new toys for her kids for Christmas. Sadly in this 'recession' there are many people in a similar situation.

As the woman spoke of buying second hand toys, I imagined faded colours and recalled the great pleasure of ripping boxes open as a kid. In fact, one of the greatest pleasures as a child has to be the element of surprise and tearing paper of a box to reveal a shining new toy. A greater pleasure as an adult is seeing the expressions of delight as a little person opens a pressie (or maybe that is just what I think.)

As the woman tearfully sobbed I felt very moved and upset. I don't normally problem solve but this person was not a therapy client. After a brief internet search, I noticed the Society of St Vincent de Paul website and gave them a call.

The SVDP have been doing brilliant work for years and this year is no exception. They have had a campaign with Ryan Tubridy to collect NEW toys for kids. When I called their office the person I spoke with was so compassionate and helpful. She advised me that they have loads of new toys for people who cannot afford them. I immediately passed her details to the mother. I don't know if she called them but I hope she did. It might just solve a problem.

If you happen to know anyone in the same situation who needs a dig out - ask them to look up their local SVDP branch or check out the website on www.svp.ie

No comments:

Post a Comment